The 1 left behind

About 5 weeks ago, a pair of robins made their nest at the back of our house.  Mamma robin sat, and sat, and sat, and sat on the nest ....leaving only briefly to go to the bird feeder.  After about 4 weeks, I began to wonder.....and after some online research that confirmed my concern, I felt sure no babies were forthcoming.  Robins usually nest for 12-14 days before the eggs hatch.  I also read that only 40% of the nestings result in live births.  Anyway, in the 5th week of diligence in this 90-100 degree heat, Mamma robin began to be as concerned as I was.   She spent much of one day last week sitting on the nest and looking in as if she was considering what had gone wrong.  The next day, she moved down to the back of the swing in our yard and looked up at the nest with her beak open (I would swear she was grieving!).  The next day, she was gone and has not returned. 
Jason climbed up on the step ladder tonight and tried to peer into the nest, but ended up having to use the camera to take this picture in order for us to view the inside. 

the 1 left behind

No comments:

Post a Comment